This year at New York Fashion Week Bob Recine created a low fishtail braid for the VPL Spring/Summer 2014 runway look. This look was recreated at this year’s Bringing NYFW to LA media event CyndiBands sponsored along with T3, Phyto, and Lierac at Fred Segal Salon.
Stephanie Mercado, stylist at the Fred Segal Salon, recreated a number of VPL inspired braids at this event. When creating the fishtail braid Mercado would suggest a CyndiBands hair tie print or color to compliment the client’s hair color or dress, such as the giraffe print with auburn hair or the black and white zebra print to coordinate with a black and white Ikat print dress.
“A fun way to incorporate Cyndibands into your hair routine, is by using one to secure this seasons hottest braid, the Fishtail. Despite its intricate appearance, the Fishtail is a simple 2 strand braid. When woven tighty, the braid appears more polished, but pull it apart and it becomes a gorgeous whimsical style. ” – Stephanie Mercado, Stylist
How to Get This Look:
- Apply PHYTO Professional Intense Volume Mousse at the roots to create texture then blow dry hair with the T3 Featherweight Luxe 2i Dryer.
- Flat iron hair with the T3 SinglePass Straightening & Styling Iron for a sleek, super-shiny finish.
- Pull hair back into a low ponytail, securing with a Cyndi Bands elastic hair tie.
- Apply PHYTO Professional Wet Gel to create a wet look, then braid hair in a fishtail.
- Apply PHYTO Professional Hydrating Day Cream to tame flyaways on the braid, but keep hair around face dry and wispy.
- Finish with Phytolaque Soie Hair Spray & PHYTO Plage Protective Beach Spray and another CyndiBands elastic hair tie.